For Docker containers with Kubernetes, the Kubernetes Master works with GigaVUE-FM fabric manager via APIs to deploy a lightweight, agentless Docker container (G-vTAP Container) without the need for special software, kernel modules or application redesigns.
These pods reside on monitored servers and selectively mirror traffic based on containerized workloads, leveraging either Flannel or Calico as the network overlay within the worker nodes. They partially process traffic and send to a central aggregation GigaVUE V Series (or GigaVUE HC Series appliance) and subsequently to security and monitoring tools.
Aggregation GigaVUE V Series are provisioned on VMs, leveraging Open vSwitch to communicate within the same server, and apply GigaSMART processing. These virtualized visibility nodes use Gigamon Flow Mapping® technology to direct traffic to the various user-designated tools. Gigamon-FM:
- Communicates with the Kubernetes Master to obtain inventory, security groups and events
- Instructs Kubernetes Master to instantiate G-vTAP Container instances for traffic acquisition and monitors and control operations
- Detects changes in container location or scale and automatically provisions G-vTAP Containers and adjusts the visibility tier
- Auto-discovers and visualizes end-to-end network topology, including container workloads, by using a drag-and-drop user interface
- Integrates with third-party tools to dynamically process traffic or to orchestrate new policies