Intelligent Traffic Replication & Filtering for Virtual Machines
As mission-critical workloads migrate to virtual servers, an increasingly large share of network traffic is occurring between virtual machines (VMs) residing on the same host. Selected data streams flowing between these virtual machines need to be pushed out to external monitoring tools without introducing any security concerns. Visibility into this virtual switching infrastructure is critical to managing end-to-end service delivery.
The Gigamon® GigaVUE-VM Visibility Fabric™ node provides an intelligent filtering technology allowing traffic flows and packets to be selected, forwarded and delivered to the appropriate monitoring, analysis or security devices.
As a native VMware vSphere 5 virtual machine, the GigaVUE-VM fabric node is installed without the need for special software, invasive agents, or changes to the hypervisor. System managers can achieve the same packet-level traffic visibility between virtualized applications as is normally available between discrete physical applications and servers. Centralized Management using GigaVUE-FM (fabric manager) facilitates configuration and management of the GigaVUE-VM fabric nodes. GigaVUE-VM can be seamlessly installed and upgraded across hundreds of ESXi hosts by taking advantage of the bulk-deployment capabilities of GigaVUE-FM.
Leveraging standards-based open APIs, GigaVUE-VM fabric nodes can track VMware vMotion events across Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) and High Availability (HA) cluster environments, enabling visibility policies to be tied to the monitored VMs and migrate with the VMs as they move across physical hosts. This automation framework enables the visibility policies to synchronize and facilitates the seamless, real-time adjustment of the monitoring and security posture in an agile virtual infrastructure.
In the Cisco Nexus 1000V Series, traffic between virtual machines on the same host is switched locally without ever hitting the physical switch, thus creating blind spots for the monitoring and management tools. With GigaVUE-VM fabric nodes deployed, virtual traffic across these environments can be intelligently detected, selected, filtered, and forwarded locally or remotely, without any changes to the operational procedure, without risk to the stability of the underlying hypervisor, or adding any further complexity to the underlying infrastructure. Currently deployed monitoring and management tools can be utilized to analyze traffic flowing across the virtual infrastructure using best-of-breed virtual switching including Distributed Virtual Switch (DVS) and Cisco Nexus 1000V.
The ability to intelligently and selectively forward traffic from the hypervisor allows IT professionals to gain the visibility essential to monitor and troubleshoot applications, networks, and virtualized data centers. Having an end-to-end solution that spans both physical and virtualized infrastructure empowers application, server, and network engineers with the insight needed to ensure service quality and maintain business productivity.
Features & Benefits
- Visibility into VM Traffic—Provides rich detail of applications and services in the virtual environment with VM introspection, including visibility and comprehensive auditing of intra-host, inter-host as well as traffic external to the data centers communicating with the VM
- Intelligent Detection, Selection, and Filtering of VM Traffic—Optimizes resource consumption of monitoring tools by forwarding only specific traffic flows of interest
- Optimization with Packet Slicing—Reduces IO resources by removing irrelevant information with packet slicing before sending to the tool and optimize long-term storage of data by capturing only data of interest
- Integration with Visibility Fabric™ Architecture—Optimizes monitoring infrastructure by enabling aggregation, replication, and sharing of traffic streams across multiple monitoring tools and IT teams
- Seamless Visibility for vMotion Events—Ensures integrity of visibility and monitoring policies in a dynamic infrastructure and real-time adjustment of monitoring and security posture to virtual network changes; respond to disasters/failures without losing NOC insight and control
- Support for VMWare vSS, vDS, and Cisco Nexus 1000V—Maintains end-to-end compliance, security, and monitoring in environments including VMware and Cisco virtual switches
- Centralized Management with GigaVUE-FM—Reduces OPEX by maintaining and configuring multiple instances of GigaVUE-VM fabric nodes using GigaVUE-FM; seamlessly install and upgrade of GigaVUE-VM’s across 100’s of ESXi hosts leveraging the bulk-deployment capabilities of GigaVUE-FM
- Remote Data Center Visibility—Visibility of VM traffic across remote data centers using centralized tool infrastructure
- Support for multiple vCenter—Up to 5 vCenters
- Environments where intelligent selection of network traffic from physical and hypervisor networks is needed
- Mid and large scale VMware virtualized data center environments
- Architectures that have mission critical, “East – West” virtual machine traffic
- Seamless visibility of virtual machine traffic across multiple data centers, including hybrid cloud infrastructure, with centralized tool systems